Monday, January 17, 2011

GF Muffins and a busy new year!

Due to sick kiddies and bad weather, I've gotten a couple extra days at home recently. One of the fun things we've done is make Oatmeal Muffins! The recipe is from E's Aunt Peggy, who is GF. Which is funny because I also have an Aunt Peggy that is GF!! Weird, huh?

1 c rolled oats
½ c brown rice flour
½ c oat flour
1 T baking powder
1 t spice like cinnamon, cardamom, ginger
½ c soy milk or milk or water
3 T honey
Vanilla if desired
¼ c canola oil
2 eggs, beaten
Fruit—mashed banana, grated apples, dried cranberries with orange zest, raspberries, blueberries, pumpkin (may need to decrease milk and increase spice). Heat oven to 375 to 400, depending on your oven. Spray muffin pan with Pam or use liners. Combine dry ingredients. Mix egg, oil, honey and milk. Combine. Bake 20 to 25. Makes 1 dozen.

I used the following variations....

2 t pumpkin pie spice
1/4 c rice milk
1 t vanilla
1/4 demerara sugar
1/4 c extra light olive oil
3/4 c pumpkin

I used Bob's GF Rolled Oats and Arrowhead Mills for my other flours. They came out SUPER YUMMY and it was extra fabulous that we all could eat them! Could being the operative word since last week, we tried Konny on oats and it didn't go so well. Not an FPIES rxn (praise God!), but as soon as they exited, his bottom started bleeding. Seriously. Not. Fun. We're waiting a couple months before trying them again and just to be safe, I'm taking them out of my diet as well.


Konnor is 11mo now and although we had a little bump with the oats, he's eating all kind of other things....rice, corn, bananas, peas, carrots, pears, blueberries, strawberries, apples, prunes, spinach, turkey, chicken and there's probably more I'm forgetting!! This year has literally flown by and I can't believe his bday is only a month away!



I've been busy working on 2 baby quilts. One is Konnor's (for shame, I'm just now doing it). I had the top done then decided I didn't like it so I ripped it apart, now I just have to put it back together.


The other is for some high school friends of Eric. They're expecting their first baby (due on Konny's bday!!) and we could not be more thrilled for them. We've passed tons of our baby stuff down to them including lots of cute girly outfits. Her shower was a couple weekends ago and Mommy was absolutely glowing! I had lots of fun making cute decorations for the party!







This year is off to a running start! The boys are taking tae kwon do again, Kelton has boy scouts and I'm taking an exercise class. Plus, all of their birthdays are fast approaching. To help manage the chaos, E and I sit down on Sun evenings and plan out all our activities and dinners for the week. It really makes such a difference!


And I definitely need to mention that Katie only wears pullups overnight anymore and I totally can't remember the last time she woke up with a wet one! She's so funny! We're never quite sure what she's going to take with her at bedtime.


The first of the kids birthdays is this weekend!
I can't believe my Moosey is going to be 7!

3 comments:

nana said...

Konnor is growing so much! and Katie is a hoot! Moose looks like he is mastering Tae Kwon Do. Can't wait to see you all this weekend.

Trisha said...

Your muffins look delish !

You guys stay warm up there.

Xxoo

momof4 said...

WOW! You guys have been busy. I can't believe that Konner's turning 1 just around the corner...were has life gone.

I love the quilts you are making and I'm sure your friends will love all the effort you put into them.